Sunday, July 07, 2002

Just enough time today to do the Sunday Op-Ed.

1. Cancer
What seems to be on the increase in our society? Maybe it just seems like it to me. And maybe it's because we have better equipement to test for it. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be the death sentence it once was. But it's still a very scary thing.

2. Hospitals
What is a place with a very distinctive smell? I bet anyone could be blindfolded, not told where they're going, and still figure it out within one breath of walking in the door. Of course, it's probably the medicines and cleaning stuff (brain not working) used to heal the sick and keep those of us visiting healty. So it's not pleasant, but it's needed.

3. Funerals
What is something I've only been to three of? Just my great uncle and my grandparents. While I agree they are for the living, they are very hard to attend. Still, I know it's meant a lot to me when I've had friends show up for my grandparent's. I really wish I'd gone to Dave Duron's grandmother's. It's a time to say, "I know your hurting, but I'm still your friend and will be there for you." It's definately a time when you find out what your friendships are made of.

If you want to read something really moving and powerful, read all of Chris's blog entry today. Some great stuff there.

No comments: