Sunday, July 21, 2002

Don't fall over in surprise. I'm back! Starting off today with Chris' Sunday Op-Ed.

1. Fall
What is my least favorite season? Fall has never appealed to me much. And living here in Southern California, we get the Santa Ana winds. Have I mentioned recently how much I hate wind? :) I'll take rain in the winter, and I love spring even though it makes my allergies worse. Summer, of course, if my favorite.

2. Vacation
What do I wish I could be doing right now? Seems like I'm always feeling like I need a vacation these days. Trixie Camp was great (wearing the shirt today.), but not nearly long enough. My next "vacation" will be in August when I go on the jr. high beach retreat. Those are fun, but they aren't real vacations for me. I'd love to just sit back and relax for a few days right about now.

3. Travel
What would I love to do more of? You can never travel too much.

Well, my jury got the case about 2:30 in the afternoon Friday. And we still managed to return a verdict before 4:30. Which is a good thing since we would have had to go back Monday other wise. And now I can talk about the case.

Three years ago, there was an accident. The plaintiff (P) was going straight through the intersection. The defendant (D) was turning left and hit the rear of the P's car. 4 days later, P went to a chiropractor for back pain and was trying to get the money back as well as pain and suffering. We the jury decided that D was at least partially responsible for the accident, but couldn't believe the P had back pain. It was P's job to prove it in court, and we didn't feel she and her lawyer did. We had a hard time swallowing the fact that the location of the accident in the intersection changed multiple times in depositions and in court, and what they were saying in court contradicted the Dr.'s records. She might have been hurt, but there was no way they could have convinced us.

So, if you're ever in an accident and want to collect afterward, make sure you can remember where the accident took place. And don't say someone turning left hit you when you were already in the crosswalk across the street and almost out of the intersection. And be sure your Dr. looks like he knows what he's doing on the stand and in the charts.

What else have I been up to? Loosing Monopoly - America Edition to Jeff. Trying to track down a good Cd of patriotic music. (Any suggestions? I'm especially looking for one with God Bless the U.S.A. on it.) Getting all June credit card entries in our system. Watching Legally Blond (very funny movie. Great time last night.) Having Jeff burn a best of Margaret Becker Cd for me. (It's shy two songs that wouldn't fit. But it's still a great collection.) And going to church this morning.

BTW, at church we voted to call the man who was out candidating last weekend for the assistant pastor position. Sounds like he said last night he'd come if we called. I couldn't be happier. And Seth told me they're hoping to have figured out this seminary thing by spring, so looks like they'll be around for another 6 months. :)

Right now, I must go reconcile some accounts so when Phil returns tomorrow, he's not as upset with me as he's going to be right now.

No comments: