Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Confessions of a Church Shopper

So I think I've made a few references to it, but there is a major change going on in my life that I haven't talked too much about.

I am looking for a new church.

Believe me, that wasn't an easy decision to come to. I've been at my old church for 13 years. I have lots of friends there. In fact, that was driven home to me last weekend when I was there for the 50th anniversary party I mentioned. Yet this was a long time coming. Like a year. So, at the end of May I started seeing what else is out there.

The good news is God has blessed this valley with several solid churches.

The bad news is God has blessed this valley with several solid churches.

It is nice to live in an area where I have choices that are doctrinally sound and God honoring. I know lots of people who would love one church like that in their area.

Of course, it also makes my job harder. Remember, I am a very indecisive person. This Sunday I started a several week stint at a new church, and it was great. This is the third church I've tried, and I could see myself becoming involved in any of them. The worship is good at all of them, and the teaching is solid and challenging, something I wasn't getting at my old church.

I'm letting little things like adult Sunday School and singles groups stir my decision.

Of course, as I was discussing with one friend Sunday, it's hard to judge after only a few weeks. You don't really get to know anyone and you also don't see the internal politics. Of course, that second one can be a bonus. But the first is definitely hard. I mean in three weeks, you are always meeting new people.

I have one more church to go before I have to make a decision. At this point, I've only ruled one of the choices out. But the others are still very real possibilities. Time to start pleeding for wisdom.

No comments: