Monday, March 22, 2004

No, really, I am back in town.

Actually, I got back about midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning. I intended to blog yesterday, but didn't get around to it. Too many message boards and too many new posts while I was gone.

Let's start at the beginning....

Thursday, Pete and I left after work and headed up to Donald's parent's house, where we proceded to stay up until 1:30 AM playing Dr. Mario. Not the best start to weekend sleep wise.

Friday, we slept in and left about noon to go the rest of the way to the wedding site. Got there late afternoon and met up with Donald. The men got our tuxes and then we went to the church for the rehersal. What followed was the rehersal dinner and the wedding eve party.

What am I leaving out of that brief description? Friday morning, I wrote draft three of my best man toast. And between the tuxes and rehersal, we stopped at a used bookstore so I could buy out their supply of Trixie paperbacks. (Most have already found a home, too.)

I've teased about the wedding eve party before, but it seems like it was a huge success. Basically, we play "Carnium: The Heather Edition." I'd asked Donald's fiancee a bunch of questions and mixed them in with movie titles for charades, song titles for him to whistle, and pictionary. The catch was, all of these had something to do with a wedding, or, in the case of the song titles, romance. I owe a big thanks to Mary and Eric for helping me brainstorm these ideas in IM one night.

We didn't get started until about 10:30 PM, so the night was much later then I had intended it to be.

Saturday, we got up and going in spurts and starts. I hadn't communicated my intentions when it came to decorating the car to the other groomsmen adiquately, so everyone else was very slow getting going in the morning. But that was ok because it gave me time to write draft #4 of the toast. Who says I'm not obsessive about stuff! Of course, part of that was because, after I saw what Donald had written in the wedding program about me, I had to change it again. :) Make it funnier, if you can believe that.

Anyway, we finally did get to the church and get all dressed. We were supposed to try to do pictures before the ceremony, but the groomsmen weren't needed for a little while, so we headed out and did the car then. Just a few balloons and streamers plus some car window chalk that washes off right away. Heck, we even gave them Windex to clean their windows with. :) Then came pictures and the wedding itself. And more pictures, since you never allow enough time for that.

Then was the reception. Being best man, I was made master of ceremonies. That kept me hoping trying to figure out the proper order and timing of things. Fortunately, I had major help in that reguard from Heather's sister, the maid of honor. I honestly would have fallen flat on my face without her. My toast, by this point we're on version 4.5, was a huge success. I'm judging by the fact that Heather and Donald loved it. We got them out the door later then originally planned. I haven't heard yet, but I'm assuming they made their plane for their honeymoon ok. Once we'd changed and cleaned up, Pete and I headed for home. It's a five hour drive, hence the reason we got in so late.

So, can you blaim me for moving slowly yesterday? I misset my alarm clock and overslept, completely missing church. I'm a little surprised I haven't been tired all day. After yesterday, I figured I'd be dragging like you wouldn't believe. But here I am well rested.

I had a great time, in case you couldn't tell. It was truly an honor to serve my friends in that way. I just hope they had as good a time as I did.

No comments: