Sunday, May 19, 2002

Happy Sunday everyone. Start out today with the Sunday Op-Ed thanks to Chris.

1. Poems
What do I have a hard time with? I'll admit, some poems I understand right off the bat. Then there are the ones that I really struggle with. It doesn't help that some of what I read in school as a poem meets no logical definition of a poem at all. And don't even get me started on writing poems. You'll laugh at my pathetic attempts.

2. Short Stories
What is O. Henry a master of? (You know, I should really work on making these questions better gramatically.) I have a collection of O. Henry short stories I haven't touched in a long time. I really should dig it out and read some more. I love his stuff, especially some of his surprise endings. He is of course most famous for "The Gift of the Magi," but I think my favorite of his is "Tommy's Burgler." It's a humorous spoof. If you get a chance, read it.

3. Novels
What do I love to read? I always have a novel of some sort going. Usually just some modern book that won't be remembered 5 years from now. But I enjoy reading them. Probably should add some non-fiction back into the mix, but I just haven't been inspired to for a while now.

And on a related note, look quick. I've made it! I'm a top 1000 reviewer at Amazon.com!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm slightly excited about that. Actually jumped over 100 ranks with the last update. And I'll probably jump with the next one as well.

Finally got to see Spiderman last night. That was after trying to see it Friday night. It was sold out. Granted, I got there 10 minutes before it started, but I kinda figured that with it showing in three theaters and with Star Wars having openned there wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, Jeff and I went after he got off work. It was great! Wonderfully emotional film with great action and characters and script and acting. Very glad they're working on a sequel. Hope it's up to these standards.

I went to the Huntington Library in Passadena with Ben and Kate yesterday. I was almost going to go to Santa Monica by myself. And in some ways I wish I had. It's not my cup of tea. The best part was when they got into a water fight with Arrowhead water bottles. Quite funny to watch. And I sunburned the top of my head. Guess I didn't have as much hair up there as I thought I did.

But today, it's drizzling and cloudy here. Our SNYF tonight is supposed to be at a house with a pool. I'll be prepared, but I doubt anyone will swim. I was also planning to play ultimate after I talked to my family, but the weather and the fact that I'm dead tired is making me think I'll pass this time around. Again. Someday I'll make it back.

No comments: