Friday, June 20, 2008

Mini Review: Hell for the Holidays

We've come to my final mini review of the Spring Reading Thing. It's on Hell for the Holidays by Chris Grabenstein.

It's kind of funny I read this one, since I found the first thriller in this series to be way too gruesome for my tastes. But I was promised this one was toned down. And it was.

It starts with a kidnapping on Halloween night. The victim happens to be a neighbor of FBI agent Chris Miller. But the way that develops, Chris suppects it was part of a bigger plan. Using every piece he can, he begins to put the pieces together. Looks like a White Supremist group is planning a major attack around Thanksgiving. But with no one at the bureau taking him seriously, can he stop it?

This book starts strong and only gets stronger. I was turning pages as fast as I could to find out what would happen next. And I didn't even realize how into the climax I was until I finished and had to take a few deep breaths.

The characters were good as well. Even the villain, while not sympathetic, came across as real. The villains were also my main problem with the book since they spewed racial and homophobic epitats on a regular basis.

Still, if you are looking for a thrill ride, this is a great one to get.

No comments: