Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Rants, rants, and more rants

Yep. It's been awhile since I did nothing but rant around here, so I think it's time, don't you?

Of course, some of the first ones will be aimed at my soon to be departed roommates. (Excited I am.)

First off, as I've mentioned before, two of them are going to Kansas this weekend. Leaving tomorrow and coming back on the 31st. They are to be out by the 1st. Now, one of them is working on packing and moving his stuff out. (They got the keys on Monday.) The other one has done nothing toward moving out. Honestly, I was hoping they'd be out before they left so that I could rearrange the room and so that Casey could bring his stuff up from the garage. But he has not done one thing toward moving. Granted, he doesn't have a lot of stuff, but it still takes some time. Time he won't really have since he leaves tomorrow. I will be most upset if he's not out on time.

The one that is working on moving out isn't on my good list either, however. He got some stuff out of our storage closet last night and left it unlocked. This is in a public walkway. I keep my Christmas stuff in there and some personal information I don't want Joe Blow getting their hands on. How hard is it to lock up after yourself? (Obviously pretty hard since he never does.)

On the other hand, he gave the kitchen a very good cleaning yesterday.

And now the other thing.

You might remember that several years ago, Christians started boycotting Disney. At the time I said it was a mistake. We as Christians can't expect a secular company to create entertainment we would support 100% of the time. To boycott the one company that tries the most to create family entertainment is stupid.

My idea of an entertainment boycott? Don't go see a movie that would offend you. Yes, there are times I would go further, like Last Temptation of Christ, but it would be for a few months while that one movie is fresh.

Anyway, at least one of the companies that called for the boycott is lifting it. And why are they doing that? Because Disney is distributing the new version of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe coming out in December. They also talk about Eisner stepping down and stuff like that, but let's be realistic. It's because a movie they want to support is coming out, so they're lifting the boycott. And Disney has made no good movies in the last nine years that should have been supported? Things like this make me mad for this reason. We should never put ourselves in a position where we have to lift a boycott when a secular company makes a family friendly movie with overt Christian themes. To semi-quote Phil Visser, why are we surprised when non-Christians behave in a way opposite what we as Christians think they should? They aren't Christians. They won't do what we would do. And we can't force them to do it our way.

Of course, I'm talking about entertainment there and not moral values. That's a completely different issue that I should save for another time.

(Thanks to Mike J. for the initial post to the news story.)

No comments: