Saturday, June 05, 2004

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

So former President Reagan passed away today. Yes, it's been expected for some time, but, as always, it's still hard on me.

Reagan was the first President I have any recollection of. Of course, this makes sense since I was only 5 when he took office. I don't have too many memories of his first term. I think I have a vague recollection of the assassignation attempt on his life. My biggest memories start with the reelection campaign. And then with the Iran Contra scandle. Frankly, I still don't know completely everything that happened in that or how I feel about it, but I really don't care.

Naturally, as the years went by after he left office, he was relegated to the back of my mind. It's only been the last couple of years that I've had much of an interest in politics or news at all.

I think part of what changed that was Donald. I've made reference on more then one occassion to going to the Reagan Presidential Library. Donald was the first person to really tell me about it/get me to go. Of course, it was because of a Disney exhibit, but I've been back numerous times afterward. And it's there that I've grown to really appreciate the leader and visionary he was. Frankly, I wish I remembered more of the 80's then I do. He was a man of conviction who acted on them. I hold him personally responsible for the fall of the iron curtain.

Yes, he had some failures are President, as has been pointed out quite bluntly on my usual old haunts. But he was a good man who served in an important part of history that has been overlooked by many.

I'm sure that his family is experiencing a mixed feeling of relief and sorrow. Relief that he is no longer suffering but sorrow that he is gone. My prayers go out to them during this time.

I've had Fox News on for the last couple hours, and the rumor is that he will be in state at his library for a day before heading to DC. If it is at all within my power, I will be there.

No comments: