Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mini Review: Whatever Tomorrow Brings

Today, I'll be talking about Whatever Tomorrow Brings by Lori Wick. This is the first in her Californians series. And yes, it is a Christian romance. But there's a reason I decided to read it. It's set in the town I grew up in, granted over 100 years before I was born. Still, I thought it was a neat connection.

After her mother dies, Kaitlin Donovan is left in charge of her younger brother and sister and their father returns to Hawaii to settle their affairs. The trio soon feel the need to leave their aunts, and Kaitlin gets a job teaching in Santa Rosa.

It's there that she meets Marshall Riggs. He's charming, handsome, and a little maddening. Yet he seems to care for Kaitlin. And she feels stuff around him she has never felt before. Where will their relationship go?

So, let's get the obvious out of the way first, the story is predictable. And, frankly, I'm not sure much else needs to be said about that.

But it was the characters who were charming. For me, they came to life and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. By the time the book was over, I was sad to leave these good friends.

The writing was weak, with frequent point of view changes (usually in the same scene). But once I got into the story, that didn't bother me as much.

Yes, I plan to read the rest of the books in the series and find out what happens to the rest of the Donovans.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

LOL. I've only read one Lori Wick book. I liked it, but like you said - they are predictible. Nice for a light read though.

Mark Baker said...

Actually, this is the second of her books I've read. I read her very first book years ago when it first came out.

Hopefully I don't wait that long to read the rest of this series.