Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mini Review: The Kingdom Keepers

Now here's an imaginitive idea for a series. Take five middleschoolers, turn them into half human/half hologram versions of themselves, and put them in Disney World's Magic Kingdom to fight evil from Disney villains. That the premise of The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson. And I'm sure it's not surprise to those who know me to find out I really enjoyed it.

The book focuses on Finn, one of the five teens. They were hired to have their likenesses made into Holographic Hosts for the Magic Kingdom. But when they go to sleep at night, they wake up as holograms in the Magic Kingdom. And strange things are happening. It's only after a fight with a group of pirates that they begin to take things seriously. Can they stop the evil trying to take over the park and possibly the world?

It was set in Disney. The plot moved forward quickly with several page turning scenes. How could I not like it?

Well, the book does have some serious flaws. Outside of Finn and his real world friends, the rest of the characters blend together. And there is a major plot hole involving how much Walt Disney could have done with things in the park. But I was willing to let them slide because of how much fun I was having.

There is a follow up book set in Disney's Animal Kingdom. I'll be reading it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're just now reading this. I love this book. I can't wait for the sequel. There also is supposed to be a movie planned.

Mark Baker said...

The sequel is already out. I can't wait to get my hands on it.