Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Anyone who read my post at Jix from Saturday knows there was a little more to my weekend then what I reported yesterday. I didn't feel like getting into it then, but here it is now. I'm not sure how much of this I've posted before, so I'm going to start at the beginning.

There is a student that we play ultimate with that has been bugging me, and it seems to grow each week. He's a sophomore, yet he thinks he knows everything there is to know about the sport. Never mind the fact that I've been playing much longer then he has. If I ever try to tell him anything having to do with the rules, he jumps on me and tells me how wrong I am. And, if Heaven forbid, I mess up while on his team, he jumps all over me. Never mind that fact that he does even stupider things then I do. Bascially, he's a show off who thinks he knows it all. Not at all fun to play with.

Unfortunately, I let him get to me. And it's little things. Where you have to be standing to start counting on the player holding the disc. Whether you can walk the disc up or not when it's out of bounds (which changes every week anyway.) We're really splitting hairs, but neither of us will back down.

This week, I thought we might be able to get along since our teams weren't playing each other. Wrong! He's sitting on the sidelines yelling "ONE MINUTE!" not too long after we've started playing the last game. Now at Master's intramurals, we play with a time limit, and how you play in that last minute changes drastically. He did it a couple times and it made me mad both times. Yet he's over there laughing thinking he's being clever. Even though he knew it was making me mad. Yet since I hadn't told him to stop, he was going to keep doing it. Real mature. When someone else suggested he stop, he finally did. When I tried to tell him I'd already asked him to, his response was "Shut Up."

Furthermore, there was a fellow graduate on the other team that really does stretch the rules a little on the counting thing. When I tried to talk to him about it, he told me he was doing nothing wrong and wouldn't stop.

This is the problem when we don't set rules. It's like the oft repeated phrase in Judges. "Every man did what was right in his own eyes." Couple these frustrations with the fact that my team only let me play about 3 minutes the second game, and I'm ready to quit. Just need to tell Pete, but I'm finished playing at Master's. Hopefully I can find a good pick up game close by cause I don't want my ultimate to be reduced to a once a year league.

No comments: