Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Because Mary and Susansuth did it, I will as well before I go. Probably won't be that elaberate right now. Something about being almost noon. Anyway, a list of favorite children's books seem appropriate. Not necessarily in any order:

1) Trixie Belden Series.
If this comes as a surprise to you, you need to pay a little closer attention to the blog. :) Of course, most of my regular readers agree with me on this. (Hi Val and Donald!)

2) The Accidental Detective Series by Sigmund Brouwer
I'm cheating a little here. I didn't discover these until I was in high school, but this is a wonderful series. And, if you ever find the original releases, get those. I'm glad to see them being reprinted, but they're taking some of the fun character stuff out of them, and I love the character stuff.

3) Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White
I HATED Charlotte's Web, but I loved these two.

4) The Great Brains series by John D. Fitzgerald
A smart kid outsmarting other kids and adults. What's not to like? Which brings me to....

5) Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol
If I solved one case before reading the solution in each book, I was thrilled. And this actually sparked my first fan fic. I wrote an immitation EB story that used a clue from a book I'd just read.

6) Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald
I wish overcoming bad habbits was as much fun as it is in these books. My family still laughs about the "Thought you Said" chapter.

7) Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
Discovered these in third grade and got others in my class reading them. Really need to reread.

8) The books of Beverly Clearly
Didn't start on these until I was in late elementary school, but great fun. Think I may have missed a couple. Guess I should try to re-read them.

9) My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
Great fantasy in a story that kids of all ages can read by themselves. Well, it helps if they can read already, but it's a great first chapter series.

10) Little Pilgrim's Progress by Helen L. Taylor
I was obsessed with all things Pilgrim's Progress for a couple years. Read this book from cover to cover I don't know how many times in a row during that time.

11) My Robot Buddy by Alfred Slote
Another series I became obsessed with. Look out, I've got three of the four and plan on rereading them in 2003. :)

I think I'm leaving some out, but here's the list for now.

I'll try to pop in once or twice over the weekend, but no guarentees. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: