Monday, March 30, 2009

My Mystery and Science Fiction Weekend

Normally, I talk about mystery around here. That's because the majority of what I read and watch falls into that category. But I enjoy a good science fiction tale, too. And this weekend broke down perfectly into the two categories.

Saturday was my mystery day, and that basically consisted of three book signings.

Up first were two at Mystery to Die For. Lisa Lutz was funny as always. And I was thrilled to hear she is editting a fourth Spellman book. I'm actually currently reading this book and loving it.

I had an hour break, so I went out to Border's and bought the 3rd season of the Muppet Show. Yep, another coupon. I'd called around and discovered they had it. Cell phones are wonderful for that kind of thing.

Then came Sue Ann Jaffarian. She was signing her fourth book, but I'd just read her first one this year. I got 2-4 signed. Now, to find the time to read them (especially since none of them are on my Spring Reading Things List.)

After that, I drove from Thousand Oaks to Westwood for the launch party for Harley Jane Kozak's new book.

Between these signings and other books I bought, I spent way too much. I have got to stop spending money so I can afford to buy the books I will buy at the LA Times Festival of Books coming up in 26 days. (Not that I'm counting or anything.)

Sunday turned in Science Fiction day. It started with church, however. Sunday School was a picnic in the park. It was fun as long as we were throwing the Frisbee around or playing whiffle ball. But when we stopped doing that, the wind made it very cold.

When that was over, Josh and I headed to Johnny Rockets for lunch and then we met up with Joe to see Monsters vs. Aliens. The three of us were laughing the hardest in the theater. We loved it!

When they movie was over, they headed to church and I ran home for an hour or so. But then we went to Joe's to start watching Babylon 5. I've been wanting to watch the series again all the way through, and Josh has never seen it. (Yes, this is a different Josh then the former roommate who got me hooked on the show in the first place.)

The irony is, this was supposed to be an at home weekend where I hung out and did very little. You can see how that worked out for me. And I wouldn't change a moment of it. But there's always next weekend, right?

5 comments:

Matt said...

Babylon 5 again? Oh, I'd love to watch through the series again...I miss it so much, but I can't afford to buy it on DVD...

Mark Baker said...

Keep an eye on Amazon. They've been having some decent sales on it recently.

I haven't watched it since we went through it, so I am way overdue.

Matt said...

Thanks, I'll do that. And yeah, you're definitely overdue if it has been that long. Are you feeling okay? That was such fun going through the series.

Leslie said...

I am so jealous. I have got to get a hold of the show at some point.

Netflix maybe.

Mark Baker said...

Well, you are always more than welcome to join us. :)

BTW, if I ever do more in the universe I have planned for the Bob-Whites, I intend to make them all Babylon 5 fans, starting with Mart and spreading out. That way, I can insert random references to the show for the fun of it.