Friday, January 28, 2011

The Saga of the Water Heater

Well, this week didn't turn out quite as planned.  Okay, so it wasn't super distruptive, but it definitely added some stress to life.

Monday night I was sitting home about to start watching Chuck when my neighbor rang my doorbell.  "Your hot water heater is leaking."  And sure enough, it was.  Fortunately, it wasn't a bad leak, so I didn't have to figure out what to do that night, but it wasn't the kind of thing I could leave for several days or longer without fixing.

So Tuesday I took an extra long lunch hour to shop for hot water heaters.  Frankly, the few places I went seemed to be pretty much the same, so I went with Sears since they could get it installed on Wednesday.

And that meant I got to take Wednesday afternoon off so the guy could come and install it.  Of course, there were all kind of things he had to fix to bring it up to code.  Seriously, what's with all the added costs to things when you get it installed.  That's just frustrating on top of the stress of dealing with a situation like this.  Drives me up a wall.

That rant aside, he was able to get things installed without any further mishaps.  So, now, my water heater is 10 gallons bigger and I think it heats stuff to a better temperature, which means it will be harder for my roommates and me to run each other (or ourselves) out of hot water.  And I got most of it paid for with a 12 month no interest payment deal.  I'm not happy at spending that kind of money, especially on top of my car repairs the last few months, but these silver linings make it easier to live with.

No comments: