Monday, March 08, 2010

So, What's the New Alice LIke?

Saturday afternoon I met up with Angelique to go see Alice in Wonderland. Not being a big Tim Burton fan, I wasn't sure what I would think of it, but I wound up enjoying it.

This certainly isn't the Alice of the books. Alice is now a grown woman returning to Wonderland only to find that the Red Queen has taken over and is destroying things. Is she the person needed to return the White Queen to power?

The movie really takes the best known characters and elements from both books and mixes them together. Purists need not even come close to applying. The Red Queen was in Through the Looking Glass, but she seems to be substituted for the Queen of Hearts here, for example.

So leave that behind, and you'll find this is actually a very fun movie. I enjoyed looking for the nods and twists on the original. This respects the source material while creating an all new story.

Being Tim Burton, there were a few dark moments, but not as many as I expected. And that's a good thing as far as I am concerned. I love my sweetness and light. Still, a few moments might be too frightening for young kids.

I'm not sure that the 3D was really needed. If I were seeing it again, I don't think I would pay the extra for it.

Overall, I'm glad I wound up seeing this movie. Maybe I need to rethink my take on Tim Burton?

No comments: