Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What's Leaving My Nightstand - January 2010

Can you believe we're already four Tuesday into 2010? Neither can I. But here we are, and it is time once again for What's on Your Nightstand. Since I just finished a book on my lunch hour, it is definitely still fresh in my mind.

I finished Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (link will take you to my full review) which I read for the Alice in Wonderland Reading Challenge.

the book is a fictionalized biography of Alice Liddell Hargreaves, the inspiration for Alice in Alice in Wonderland. It traces her friendship as a child with Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) and the ramifications that had on her adult life.

The book was expertly written and provided some very real characters. Once I finally got into the story (about a third of the way through), I wanted to see how it was going to turn out.

The problem with the book was the underlying sexual tension between Alice as a child and the adult Dodgson. It was just creepy. And the ultimate climax to the story was an unrealistic let down.

The only reason I heard about the book was because of the reading challenge, and if I had missed reading it, it wouldn't have been any great loss. Skip it.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

I've been wondering about this book as I saw a press release for it. Good to hear your thoughts on it. I think I probably WOULD skip it now.

Mark Baker said...

Glad I could help, in that case.

morninglight mama said...

I just saw a review for this in the Washington Post last week, and I think I was left with the feeling that I'd rather not read it from that review as well. Good to know, thanks!

WarrenBru said...

The book was reviewed on NPR's Fresh Air today...they loved it. I'm going to get it from the library this weekend.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122981081

L.B. said...

Unlying sexual tension between a child and adult? Yeah, sounds like a pass.

Mark Baker said...

Warren,

I read a library copy as well. If you do want to read it, that is certainly the way to go.

Unknown said...

Interesting review. We were just asked to review it, and I think that Lisa requested it. I hope she doesn't read this -- ha ha ha.

Mark Baker said...

I will be interested to see her take on it.