Thursday, December 17, 2009

RIP Roy Disney

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but I do want to take a few minutes to acknowledge the death of Roy Disney. He died yesterday at the age of 79 (and the day after his uncle Walt died back in 1966).

Many people credit Roy with saving the Disney company twice. I'm not sure about the first time, but he did orchestrate the shareholder revolt that lead to Eisner outster a few years back. From what I was seeing at the time, I certainly agree it was a much needed move.

Roy is also partially responsible for the rebirth of hand drawn animation. He was one of the voices calling for it to be used in addition to computer animated movies. Since I felt the same way, but he had a bigger voice in the matter, I'm thankful for his championship.

There are other sites with longer posts about all he did for Disney over the years. While he was never CEO, I'd say he did more to keep Walt's vision alive than anyone.

But I feel like I know him a little personally. I've seen numerous interviews with him on Disney bonus features as he talked about his memories of the work his uncle and father were doing at the studios. I always loved them. He seemed like a kind, warm, caring man.

Although I never met Roy, I am saddened to learn of his death.

No comments: