Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thursday Threesome for September 11th

Welcome to a very special edition of the Thursday Threesome found, as always, on The Back Porch.

Onesome: Memories from-- a few years back: what were you doing on 9-11?
I had just gotten back from the second Trixie Convention two days before. I was trying to find a place to live (I did that day.) I was actually getting ready for work when my soon to be roommate called and told me to turn on the TV. I had to come into work that day, but I had news sites up all day.

Twosome: the-- thought occurs: Should this be a holiday? ...or perhaps a day of remembrance with a moment of silence nationwide?
I don't know if I think it should be a holiday. For one thing, making it a holiday would make it completely irrelevant. I mean, do any of us really spend Memorial Day remembering? But it does seem like some kind of national moment of silence or something would be appropriate. Of course, I was going to fly my flag today and completely forgot.

Threesome: Past-- 'days that will live in infamy': do you recall any other days of tragedy that have a placeholder on your mental calendar?
While I can't tell you the day, I definitely do remember watching the coverage of the Challenger explosition. Fortunately, that's about the only other one from my life time.

Bonus: Who's quote did I paraphrase in the question above?
FDR referring to Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941), of course.

No comments: