Friday, December 18, 2009

Mini Review: A Fatal Grace

I added A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny to my Fall Into Reading list when I realized it was set at Christmas time. I just had to read it in December.

The book finds us back in the small Canadian village of Three Pines for this book. A new family has moved to town, and the matriarc, CC, is horrid. In fact, the entire village hears her yell at her daughter after the Christmas Eve service. She is selfish and rude. She's also murdered - electricuted in the middle of a lake during the annual Boxing Day curling competition.

And so Chief Inspector Armand Gamache returns to try to find a killer. Will getting a better picture of CC help him find out you had enough?

I enjoyed the first book in the series, but I found this one disappointing. It started off very slowly. I felt like I was plodding along for the first 50 or so pages. Once the murder happened, things did pick up. But as I went along, the weak writing bugged me more. This was especially true of the author's habit of changing point of view mid-scene, sometimes just for a paragraph or two.

One of the draws of the first book was the villagers we got to know. While we didn't see as much of them, what we did was fun.

And some threads were started with Gamache that make me curious to read the next.

If the series weren't coming so highly recommended (it is winning awards left and right and several friends love it), I might stop here. As it is, I will continue on at some point.

No comments: