Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On my Nightstand - August 2008 Edition

August is almost over, which means it is time once again for 5 Minutes for Books, What's on Your Nightstand.

I am currently half way through It Happened One Knife by Jeffrey Cohen. Yeah, I know, I said it was up next last month. But several other books jumped in the way, so I am just now getting to it. The book is about the owner of a comedy movie theater who happens to get involved in mysteries. And I'm really enjoying it. The mystery seems better (at least so far) than the first in the series. And it's funnier, too. Or I expected too much from the first in the series.

So I am going to hedge my beats this month. I think my next book will be Hell Hole by Chris Grabenstein. This is the fourth in a series about two cops who work in a resort town on the Jersey Shore. Each book is named after a different amusement park ride. The plots are fairly dark at times, but the setting and the humor help lighten the stories quite a bit. It's a weird mix, but it works.

If it isn't, it will be Dawn's Light by Terri Blackenstock. This is another fourth in a series. The series follows a Christian family caught in a world where every modern convienced has stopped working. Watching them struggle through life and dealing with humans has been very enlightening, entertaining, and challenging. This book will wrap up the series, and I'm curious how it all will end.

So that's my list for this month. I'll be late next month since I will be in DisneyWorld for the fourth Tuesday.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

The Dawn's light book looks really interesting to me. What is the name of the first one in that series? I love reading what everyone has on their nightstands :-)

Mark Baker said...

Last Light was the first in the series. Hope you enjoy.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting your list, and have fun at Disney!

Mark Baker said...

Jennifer,

Thanks for starting the fun mostly discussions.

And I will.

Robin M said...

I've read the whole series and they are quite interesting. Make's you think "what if".

Robin of mytwoblessings