Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm Suddenly Feeling Old!

So, I have a confession to make. I first watched High School Musical two years ago and completely fell in love with it. I have the soundtracks to both movies and both movies on DVD. Cheesy? Check. Predictable? Check. Fun? Double check.

So that's how I came to be watching High School Musical: Get in the Picture. Probably one of the only people in the country to be watching it based on the ratings. The theme of the big show this last Monday night was sitcoms theme songs of the 70's and 80's. Cool, I thought, immediately imaging all the songs I love they might be singing. And sure enough, I was familiar with the themes for "Mary Tyler Moore," "Cheers," and "Greatest American Hero" (aka "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air.") True, I didn't know "One Day at a Time" because I've never caught reruns of it. But I had at least heard of the show.

Now keep in mind that I didn't watch that much TV until after college. So my familiarity with these other shows is based on reruns and TV on DVD.

Now the kids competing on HSM: GitP are high schoolers. I think the age range is 16-18. As soon as they got the songs, they started talking about how none of them knew the songs. None of them! One of them pointed out he was born in 1990. Another said she had never heard of Mary Tyler Moore.

Suddenly, I felt very old. Granted, Mary was in her fifth season when I was born. But the other two I knew were all on while I was growing up. I'd heard of them even if I had never watched them. And I'd heard so many references to all of them over the years I at least knew the names!

Of course, the performance was a medley of the four put together. I've had the three I know going in my head all week. And it is making me smile big time. I miss good theme songs with lyrics on TV these days. Heck, it's one reason I watch the credits to Monk and Psych every week.

(This has been my post for this week's Watercooler Wednesday.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I feel old! I remember watching Mary Tyler Moore when it origianlly aired!

The up side for me is that most people think that I don't look old enough to remember the show. :)

...tom... said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Baker said...

I can't believe you are old enough to have watched the show during first run episodes. And I'm not just saying that. :)

And, ...tom..., you have e-mail.

Leslie said...

I know have Greatest American Hero - the theme song stuck in my head.

Thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

you're smooth mister! :)

Mark Baker said...

Leslie, You're welcome. I do what I can to hinder. :)

Zach, Thank you. :)