Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Double Feature Weekend

This weekend, I went to a double feature.

Okay, so that's very misleading, but I said it that way on purpose.  :)

I saw two plays this weekend, specifically two musicals.

First up, I went down to Glendale Centre Theatre for a matinee of 1776.  I'd watched the movie version a few years back, but I'd never seen the stage version.  Turns out I'm not a big fan of the show period.  But that's not to say the cast wasn't phenominal.  Considering how many people they had to fit on such a small stage, it was great.  I love the intimate setting of that theater.  They also had their season for next year announced, and I'm already looking forward to several plays there.  And we're going back in a few weeks for their next play.

Anyway, that finished up in time for me to drive back to town, grab some dinner, and make it to the evening show of The Music Man.  I've fallen in love with the movie version of this musical (specifically the remake), but I'd never seen the stage play.  As soon as a local theater company announced they were doing it, I knew I wanted to see it.  Then it turned out some friends were in it, so I had to see it.  One of them was even Marion.  It was great!  I loved every minute of it.  They did it at the performing arts center at the local community college, and that auditorium is amazing.  I enjoyed every minute of it.

Plays are wonderful.  I don't know why some people who love movies hate them, but I am glad I finally have a friend who loves going to them as much as I do (although I did go to The Music Man by myself since I'd pretty much forgotten I'd need to go that weekend until the last couple of days).

No comments: