Thursday, July 08, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday for July 9th

It's Friday where our hostess is, so I'm going to stop apologizing for posting Book Beginnings on Friday on Thursday night and just do it if I have time.

I've been on a kid's book kick recently, I guess, as you'll see with this week's two selections.  I actually finished Tales from the Hood yesterday.  It's the sixth in the Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley.  Highly recommended if you like a different take on fairy tales.  Anyway, the first sentence is:

Sabrina Grimm awoke with a crazy dream fresh in her mind.
That sentence definitely caught my attention.

But for perfection, we've got to go with Belly Up by Stuart Gibbs.  I just started this book at lunch time, and so far I am really enjoying it.  Our main character is a 12 year old whose parents work at a new zoo/amusement park combo.  The first sentence is:

I'd just been busted for giving the chimpanzees water balloons when I first heard something was wrong at Hippo River.

That sentence actually made me chuckle and it definitely made me want to read more.

3 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Great beginnings...thanks for sharing, and Thursday night is perfectly fine! LOL

I do a lot of mine the night before, but last night...it didn't work out.

Here's my beginning:

http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/book-beginnings-on-friday-12/

ham1299 said...

Love that second one! LOL

Thanks for visiting Proud Book Nerd! :-)

Rebecca Chapman said...

They are both great opening lines for young adult fiction. that second one particularly. So funny!