Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My Uncle

Mom and Dad called me last night to tell me my uncle didn't make it. This is the second death in the family in two months. My list of relatives is once again getting smaller.

As I said the other day, I have never been close to this uncle. I haven't seen him since my brother's wedding. Yet this death has hit me hardest of the deaths in my family in the last few years.

I think it's because it's part of my parent's generation. Other deaths in the family were people in their 80's. As I said to someone last night, if you aren't semi-expecting it, you haven't been paying attention to the world around you. But my uncle was only 62. That's not old enough. His dad died at some point in his 60's, and Dad will be 60 next year. Frankly, this scares me. I can't image life without Dad, and I don't want to even think that he might not be around for another 20 years.

And it's hit me hard. Heck, I'm half way to 60 myself. Single. Letting life pass me by. I want more out of life then this, but I sure don't know what. Yes, I know I have Heaven to look forward to, but I don't want to feel like I've wasted the time God gave me on Earth first.

No comments: