Friday, January 09, 2009

Reporting on Christmas

Okay, shall we start playing a little catch up?

I did indeed leave to head north not too long after I made that last post in December. Plenty of traffic, but all of it flowing, so it was a nice trip up. On the way, I stopped off to see Donald and Heather. Unfortunately, I succumed to temptation and Donald and I played The Stock Market Game. Remember how I beat him pretty soundly last time we played in September? (Which is why I wasn't going to play it any more.) He beat me even more soundly. It wasn't even a fair fight.

Must have rematch. And must find people to play it with down here. I absolutely love that game!

My brother and sister in law made it to town on Christmas Eve. Almost didn't since my brother was late getting back with the youth group kids so they almost missed their flight. Something about the storm in Colorado and the bus breaking down. You know, minor things like that.

Christmas day was the normal opening presents with the family and then going down to my uncle and aunts. It may have been "normal," but it was great just spending time together. I made a peach cobbler for dessert which was a huge hit.

Bro and SiL left the next afternoon to start spending time with her side of the family. But I spent another few days with Mom and Dad. We played games, but never Rummikub or Settlers, both of which I expected us to play at some point. We hung out with some good friends of the family. That included a trip to play miniture golf in Sonoma at this really cool and creative course. I did horribly. I must practice my golfing skills more often.

I headed south again on the 30th. And I took my own sweet time getting back down here, too. First, I stopped off for lunch with Donald. Then I met up with some friends outside of Bakersfield for dinner. Very fun day, but a long one. It took me 11 hours to get home. The only other time it's taken me somewhere near that long was when I got caught in traffic the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like the Stock Market Game, may I recommend this: http://www.roninsoft.com/wsraider.htm

It's a PC game. Can play solo or have others on the computer with you. The computer can be a tough opponent. Pretty good game really. It has real world companies and you can add/change them. I like it and at one point had created a Berkshire Hathaway type company, with anti-trust regulators always taking me to court (that's pretty much expected when you merge Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart; than merge American, Southwest, Continental, Delta, Northwest, America West, etc. Hahahaha.

Ryan said...

so i gotta know... is it called "The Stock Market" game or are you making a reference to one of my favorite games of all time (that I thought no one else in the world has heard of) STOCKS AND BONDS??!!

Mark Baker said...

No, I haven't heard of Stocks and Bonds. This one is indeed called The Stock Market Game.

But I'll make you a deal. I'll play your game if you'll play mine.