Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thursdays Threesomes

Since I was in New York last week, I need to do a little catch up with these.

Both were taken from The Back Porch.

And the first was brought to us by The Wizard of Oz.

Onesome: "Over-- the Rainbow" Has someone 'Somewhere' done the song better than Judy Garland did in the movie? ...or does she still 'own' it in your opinion?
You know, I don't think I've heard anyone else do it, so Judy wins by default.

Twosome: the-- best all time album in your collection? ...or one you'd like to have? Sure, the Go-Gos count, but hey...
I'm going to keep going back to David Meece's Learning to Trust, although I have several close contenders.

Threesome: Rainbow"?-- As sung by Billy Ray Cyrus? (Yes, on his latest album.) Who has done the best "cover" of a song you like to listen to? You know, better than the original artist...
Believe it or not, I'm going to go with DC Talk on this one. I think their version of "In the Light" is better then the original.

And now this week's, brought to us by, well, The Thursday Threesome.

Onesome: The-- best things in life are free? What's your favorite freebie? I'm thinking of some annual event you partake in...
Without doubt, the LA Times Festival of Books at UCLA.

Twosome: T--buckets, Model T's, maybe even Thunderbirds? Do you have any ties to classic cars or modified roadsters?
I've had old cars, but never classic cars. And the closest I've come to any is looking at them drive down the road.

Threesome: 3-- days until Sunday, but the NFL season begins tonight! Who's your team this year? Not a football fan? Post your rant on why not !
It's not really a rant, but I just don't get into sports. I only care if I am playing. There are so many other things I'd rather sit around and watch, like movies and TV shows. Or I could be reading.

3 comments:

Kiefler said...

I heard an interesting version of Over the Rainbow while we were in Hawaii that I really like. Its by...

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

He plays it on an Ukulele, but the reason its so good, is because its a medley with Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" mixed into the middle. It's really great.

Do a google on his name and Over the Rainbow and you might be able to find a sample.

Kiefler said...

Actually, here is a link to an interesting article.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/09/DDGNKBLRRV1.DTL

It turns out that he only ever sang it once, literally a single take, a single studio session. He died without ever actually performing it.

He just sat down and sang it. And that makes it even more amazing.

Kiefler said...

Actually, here's a better one from an NPR broadcast. I split it into two lines to make sure you could see it. The song is about 5 minutes.

The change comes at about 2:45. Listen till at least 3 minutes.

http://www.npr.org/programs
/asc/archives/asc07/#israel