Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Trixie Camp 2007

I'm in mourning. I don't want Trixie Camp to be over again already.


Yes, that means I had a great time.

One thing that was great was the weather. It was absolutely perfect. Mid 80's with little to no humidity. Much better then the heat wave we've been having here in CA for the last week. I got off the plane at midnight, and it felt like an oven. It's never that hot here at night.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I left Wednesday night. Angelique and I flew out of LAX about midnight. After a three hour layover in Detroit, we landed in Buffaloo and were picked up to head to the hotel.

Fortunately, the hotel let us check in a few hours early. So we dumped our stuff and went strolling around for a place to eat. After lunch, we walked to Niagara Falls.

Yes, that's right, our hotel was about three blocks from the falls. I walked across the border into Canada twice during the weekend. And from the Rainbow Bridge, you have a great view of the falls. Both the American and Canadian parts.

Thursday night, we all congregated at our fabulous cordinator's house for dinner. Kaye's obvious a brave woman, having us all over. She's also a great cook.

Friday was a day of whirlwind touring. We started the day at "Cave of the Winds," a series of walk ways build at the base of American Falls. Fortunately, they give you yellow ponchos that basically work to keep you dry. I did still get wet where water leaked in around the top. Of course, it didn't help that I went on the "hurricane deck," an optional platform built closest to the bottom. And you can feel the force of the water on the whole thing. But especially in one corner where the water is coming down so hard it hurts.

From there, we went on the Maid of the Mist ride. This boat, takes you to the bottom of the horseshoe falls. They give you blue ponchos for this one, but you don't get nearly as wet. That was fun was well, but I found Cave of the Winds much more impressive.

After lunch, we head out to Fort Niagara. Now tell me if this fort has really served its purpose. It was under French, Brittish, and then American control. Sounds a bit suspect to me. :)

From there, we headed to Canada. We rode up in the tour (full name has escaped me), then went to the wax museum. You know, posing with those wax figures was lots more fun then I thought it would be.

And just in case you thought our day was over, well, you'd be wrong. Next up was dinner, followed by fireworks at the falls. Then some of use went down the street to Twist of the Mist for ice cream. And lots of talking ensued both there and back at the hotel. Yet this was the night I tried to go to bed early. Not that I fell asleep or anything.

Saturday, we went to Statford, Ontario for the day. First up was a tour of the down via double decker bus. After lunch, we went to a one woman play called Shakespeare's Will. I'd never seen a one person production before. I was quite impressed with how well she held my attention the entire time. That evening was more hanging out with friends. And I walked back to the bridge to see the lights on the falls at night.

Sunday, unfortunately, we all headed home. Fortunately, Angelique and I were the last to leave. Why fortunately, you ask? Because, it meant that we got to hang out with Robin for a few extra hours. We went to the just opened Corn Maize and had a blast trying to get through their three courses. We only had to cheat once, too, although we did get several tips from the workers wandering through the third maze. I had always wanted to do a corn maze (or any kind of human maze for that matter), so I was thrilled.

As I was saying earlier, Angelique and I got home about midnight. I was glad to have Monday off. Didn't do a thing buy laze around the house. A nice conclusion to a great weekend.

So, when do we leave again?

No comments: