Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Summer League Tournament 2015

This last weekend, we had the hottest weather of the summer so far.  It was triple digits both days.  Naturally, that meant it was time for the summer league tournament this year.  (Seriously, I think it is always on the hottest weekend of the year.)

I must admit, I wasn’t expecting much from my team.  Oh, I knew we’d all go out there and play hard, but look at our record.  We were the bottom seed going into the tournament.  That’s never a good sign.  Plus we were playing the team we’d lost to 4-15 twice.

So imagine my surprise when we started out going 3-0 on them.  However, they quickly turn that around, and we were trailing them the entire rest of the game.  Still, it was a much closer game than I was expecting.  I think it was 8-10 at the end.  (I don’t remember the final score, which was capped as we ran out of time.)

Unfortunately, they were doing work on part of the field (and hadn’t bothered to tell us before that day).  It meant we were down space and couldn’t play all the games we were supposed to play.  Our consolation game turned into a very short free for all of sorts, but it was fun.  It just wasn’t worth staying around to play.

I almost went home.  I’d hardly been home in the last week and was thinking about all the things I could have been doing instead of sitting in the heat.  But I stayed and watching the finals of both Men’s and Co-ed.  Plus I was reading and I finished my book.  I went to the party afterward pretty much long enough to grab some dinner and then I drove home.

I did go out to play pick up ultimate the next day.  After all, I’d hardly played the day before.  We had a small turnout because of the heat, but it was a very fun early evening.

No comments: