Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Last 5K for 2012


Yes, I’m still talking about 2012.  That’s how behind I am on blogging.  But I did get one last race in during the year.  That brings my total to 14 over all.

This was the Holiday 5K and was held on the Saturday between Christmas and New Years.  It was put on by the cross country team of my old employer.

My roommate has started working out more, and he joined me for this one.  Or should I say he beat me for this one.  He finished about 5 minutes faster than I did.  Honestly, I don’t know if I would have been able to keep up with him even if I had been running.

That’s right, I ran only once the entire month before this race.  My legs had been killing me thanks, mostly I think, to some very bad dress shoes I’d been wearing for work.  As a result, there were days I could barely walk let alone run.  That seems to be behind me now.

Fortunately, I was able to run the entire thing.  And I finished in a time of 32 minutes, which isn’t that bad at all considering.  I figured I’d be much later.

The course itself is mostly off road and is beautiful.  Unfortunately, it was also very cold that day.  We’re talking almost snowing.  And it was sprinkling a bit as we started.  Yes, I know I enjoy doing mud runs, but that’s when the temps are warmer.  Waiting for the race to begin was the hard part.  Once we got going, I was fine.

Still, I’m glad I went and did this.  Plus it’s proved my legs are doing better, so I am back to running.  Which is a very good thing since I’ve started plotting out and signing up for mud runs in 2013 already.

No comments: