Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Happy Birthday, Disneyland

57 years old.  And still so completely magical.

Yeah, I know I don't post these every year, but I was seriously thinking about going down there today.  It just didn't work out, so I had to be content with having been there on Saturday.

I went down for a book signing.  Yes, at Disneyland.  Archivist Dave Smith was signing his latest trivia book.      It was from 9 to 11, so I headed down there first thing in the morning.  I wasn't sure how popular it was going to be (you had to buy admission to the park or have a pass after all), and it turned out to not be that bad at all.  I had my signed books and was out the door before 9:30.

So, naturally, I hung out in the park for a few hours.  Hit Space Mountain with only a 20 minute wait.  Got a Fast Pass for Star Tours.  Then I rode the train around the park and Small World.  I was trying to take some pictures, although they turned out to be uneven.  It's hard when you take a picture without a flash.  Finally, I hit the Voices of Liberty concert before a showing of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.  The crowds were getting bad, so I left about 1.

I know, I know.  I left long before they closed.

Of course, I also wanted to head to Hallmark stores since it was ornament premier.  Yes, I was bad and bought ornaments.  But I did have fun.  Now to avoid buying too many more right away until I have a job.

2 comments:

That Loud Redhead said...

I love that you know Disenyland's birthday! We went to Disneyworld in 2005, when they were having "The Happiest Celebration" on earth and it was cool to join in the celebration (even it if was at the wrong park, lol!).

I love Hallmark ornaments, too, but I am probably better at resisting. ;)

(PS: I don't know how I missed that you had a blog before this!!)

Mark Baker said...

It helps that I was getting all kinds of comments about it on Facebook and Twitter for the last couple of weeks. :)

Resist the ornaments. Once you get started, you won't be able to stop. Trust me.

I've had this blog for years, but I don't tend to talk about it much at Jix. If it makes you feel any better, I just discovered your blog as well.