Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Camping with the Family

If you noticed, I wasn't around much last week.  That's because I was beyond the reach of technology.  I headed up to visit my family.  No, no, they have internet.  But we all went camping together at a state park, and it had no internet or cell phone reception.  Honestly, I didn't mind that much.  Every so often, it's nice to take a bit of time off from technology.

Plus we were camping in the redwoods at a favorite spot we've been camping at as a family for years.  I hadn't been for a couple myself, so it was good to be back.

The weather was perfect.  A bit chilly at night, but upper 70's during the day.  I loved it.

And when I say my family, I do mean everyone.  It was a chance to try out Mom and Dad's new trailer, and my brother, sister-in-law, and niece came along as well.  That meant I got to sleep on the couch that folds into a bed.  I was in the middle of the trailer with no permanent place to put anything, but it worked.

We went on a couple of hikes a day and played lots of games.  I never came in last on Spiral Down, and I even won a game.  We got apple pies from a nearby fruit stand two nights.  Man are they delicious.

And I got to see my niece!  Yes, she's still incredibly cute.  And yes, she still loves her Uncle Mark very much, a feeling that is mutual.

All told, we had a great time.  My brother and I left early - he had to go back to work, and I had to come back to be ready for Tough Mudder.  That made a long day driving down.  But overall, the trip was well worth taking.

No comments: