Thursday, June 03, 2010

Other Books Read in May

Here are the rest of the books I read in May.  Thanks to that trip the beginning of the month, I got through quite a few.

All ratings are on a scale from 1 (bad) to 5 (great).


DOUBLE MINDS by Terri Blackstock - 3
Parker James is trying to catch her big break in Christian music when someone is murdered at the desk she works at for her day job. Meanwhile, her best friend wants Parker to rewrite some songs so she can cross over to the non-Christian music market. With as much as I love Christian music, I expected to love the book. Instead, it fizzles, taking a detour in the final third that slows things down and doesn't allow us enough time for a satisfying resolution.

THE SEA OF MONSTERS by Rick Riordan - 4
Percy Jackson sets out on a quest to save Grover the satyr and possibly Camp Half Blood as well. I had a few issues with the plot being episodic and a tad too much like the first one, but over all I enjoyed this second book in the series.

EXPOSURE by Brandilyn Collins - 4
Kaycee Raye is known in town for her paranoia. But when someone does break into her house, leave a threatening message, and then take it again before the police arrive, will she get anyone to believe her? I saw a major twist coming fairly early, but for the most part I enjoy this tale of Christian suspense.

MRS. POLLIFAX ON THE CHINA STATION by Dorothy Gilman - 3
Mrs. Pollifax heads to China to find out the location of a forced labor camp so the CIA can free a political prisoner. As much as I love the series, this is a disappointment. It reads more like a travelogue for too much of the book, which doesn't give the plot enough time when it is finally tries to go somewhere.

THE CRIME WRITER by Gregg Hurwitz – 4
Mystery novelist Drew Danner was just released from jail after being accused of his ex-fiancee's murder. The next morning, he is arrested again for another murder. Is he committing murders without realizing it or is something else going on? I loved the premise. The pacing could have been a little better, but overall I did enjoy this book.

No comments: