Friday, June 11, 2010

Book Beginnings for June 11th

What I really want to know is, why am I up doing Book Beginnings at 12:10 AM when I should be in bed trying to sleep.

I actually spent most of the weekn going through a non-fiction book, ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer.  Decent book, although it spent a bit more time talking about t'ai chi than I really was hoping for.  At least it was a library book.

The first sentence is:

Not long ago, I was running past a grade school.

Not the best start, but it did catch my interest a little bit.

Thursday at lunch time, I started Bundle of Trouble by Diana Orgain.  I'm already 50 pages in and loving it.  It's first sentence is:

The phone rang, interrupting the last seconds of the 49ers game.

Again, not the best opening sentence, but it does set up the opening scene, which grabbed my attention quite nicely.

4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sometimes our books don't begin the way WE would write them...

I actually enjoyed the book beginning in my read this week:

http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/book-beginnings-on-friday-8/

Katy said...

Heh, I think the 1st line in Bundle of Trouble lives up to the book's title. :)

Rebecca Chapman said...

wow, up at midnight, thats dedication :-)

I wouldn't mind knowing more about Tai Chi. There is always a big group of people doing Tai Chi in a local park I pass on my way to work. THey are all old people (well, they appear to be in their 60s/70s)and they are so flexible and healthy looking!

I agre they're not the best opening lines, but as long as the books are good thats what counts :-)

Unknown said...

And now, what are they doing ? Interesting opening.