Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Mini Review - Feint of Art

Just last night, I finished Feint of Art by Hailey Lind. I loved it.

Annie Kincaid runs a faux finishing studio in San Francisco, but in her past she has learned how to forge paintings. And that past is why ex-boyfriend Ernst Petttigrew asks her to authenticate a painting at the Brock Museum where he works. Annie quickly identifies it as the work of Anton, a friend of her grandfather who is an art forger. And within an hour, a museum guard is dead and Ernst is missing.

Meanwhile, the local market has been flooded with fake sketches by Old Masters, all Anton's work. Can Annie track down Anton? Who is behind is all?

This book is FUN! It's more a caper then a traditional mystery, but the plot never gets too far fetched. It's got several twists. The ending left a couple things for us to figure out, but they are fairly obvious, so it wasn't too much of a stretch.

The characters were wonderful as well. I especially loved Annie habit of nicknaming everyone she didn't know well. Those nicknames often gave us such a great picture of the character.

And Annie has a great sense of humor. I was laughing pretty hard during one particular scene.

I'm so glad I too a friend's advice and read this debut.

This review is part of this week's Watercooler Wednesday. Come join the fun.

(As always, the link in the first paragraph will take you to my full review of the book at Epinions.com)

1 comment:

Angie said...

Well, you convinced me and I ordered the book when I was ordering my mom's mother's day gift. :D