Monday, October 24, 2005

As Always a Busy Saturday

If it weren't for Saturday, I'd say nothing exciting happened in my life ever. This Saturday was no exception.

Left the condo early because I wanted to get down to Westwood in time for a book signing Saturday morning. Ok, early is relative. The signing started at 11. I didn't leave until 10:30, but traffic was light and I made it down not too late. Signing books were Lee Goldberg and Pari Noskin Taichert. Lee even had a copy of the cover of the first Monk novel for me, too. There was a small group, maybe a dozen or so, and most of them hung around and chatted the entire time, which was something new for me. Pari remembered me from her trip out here a year and a half ago to promote the first one. Ok, it did take a little prompting. Still, it always shocks me when an author I've met once says, "You look familiar." I honestly don't expect that until a few signings or a few e-mail exchanges have happened.

Also there, but buying books this time, was Harley Jane Kozak. Since I've really been commenting on The Lipstick Chronicles since I met her in April, I introduced myself again. She was thrilled to meet me and planned to make the rest of the authors jealous by telling them. Of course, if they'd come out where on a book tour, I'd be happy to meet them, too. I'm not picky, I'll meet any author I enjoy reading. :)

Then I decided to do something I'd wanted to do for months. Since I had a free afternoon, now was the time.

I headed to Forrest Lawn. It's a chain of memorial parks in Southern CA. Master's does concerts there every year, but I've never gone. The reason I wanted to go, however, was because I'd heard Disney was buried there. Morbid, I know, but I needed to try to see.

I didn't think about the fact that I didn't know which park it was, so I decided to try the Hollywood park first. After looking at their Patriot Hall, I asked and found out that he was at the Glendale park. So I headed out there, navigating by county maps with little street info. Yes, that met I spent quite a bit of time wandering around Glendale. Finally found the park, then spent some time wandering around to find the area I was looking for. So, after three hours, I finally found out...that it was in a private area not open to the general public. All that time for nothing.

The man who finally told me this was very chatty. Talked me into seeing a stain glass replica of the Last Supper they have there (which was very impressive), but then just kept talking to me, even after I'd taken the keys out of my pocket. By that point, I was getting hungry and ready to get home. Finally did mange to get away without being rude.

That night, Matt, Casey, and I went to see Serenity, finally. As I felt with the TV series, it had it's flaws, but it was a good movie and finally answered questions left from the canceled series. I don't think anyone who wasn't already a fan of the show would enjoy it, but if you were, it is well worth seeing. If you can. I bet it's out of the theaters completely in another week or two.

No comments: