Monday, June 27, 2005

Church Campout Take Two

So this weekend was the annual church campout. Now I know some of you are already cringing if you remember what happened last year. Just relax, this year was the best of the three I've been to. (Yes, I've been three times now, which kinda makes the title inaccurate. But it fits so well.)

And what made it so great? I just hung out and relaxed. I really needed the down time with little else going on.

Friday, I left here about 4:30, really needing to have left earlier. Ran some errands, then finally headed to Nick's. We left from there and met up with Kurt and Kellie and their friend Brad for dinner. Got to the campout, set up, hung out for a little while, and went to bed.

To my surprise, I actually slept in Saturday morning. Of course, it probably helps that it wasn't cold for a change. My back was really sore. Wound up borrowing an air mattress the second night. I need to get me one!

Anyway, did nothing too exciting. I had been feeling funny Friday, but felt fine the rest of the weekend. Swam for maybe an hour, went into Solvange checked out their used bookstores, which weren't anything to get excited about and had no Carolyn Hart. Came back, and spent three hours finishing Dead Man's Island. Yeah, I was slightly hooked on the story. The ending was a bit abruppt, but over all, it was very good.

Saturday night we had a praise service, then Sunday morning was a church service of sorts and we hit the road. Got Nick home in time to hit Laura Levine's launch party for Shoes to Die For. Just missed Joanne Fluke, which was a bummer, but I had lots of fun. Then I came home and talked to my family.

As I said, it was nothing exciting. Didn't play any games. In fact, in some ways, I was rather anti-social. But it felt so good to relax and not worry about it. I had a great time and definitely want to go back next year. And since Nick and I shared a tent, it was much cheaper then in years past when I've driven up alone. Plus Nick and Kurt's grandparent's fed the whole lot. By the end, there was an army of family and friends. All in all, a wonderful weekend.

No comments: