Thursday, August 15, 2013

Wisconsin Wedding Weekend

This last weekend, I headed out to Wisconsin for the wedding of my former roommate Daniel.  The main reason I even thought about going was because I had airline miles that were set to expire – enough for a free ticket one way.  I figured this was my best chance to use them.

I had a fabulous time.

Frankly, I’m not sure why I didn’t think I would.  I was already friends with all of the groomsmen but one, and he was a great guy, too.  I hadn’t seen most of them in a couple of years, so it was a lot of fun catching up with them.

And, despite it being the weekend of a wedding, most of the weekend was hurry up and wait, which means we had plenty of time to relax and hang out.  A highlight for me was a lengthy conversation with the best man about pop culture and Christianity.  Made me wish all over again he still lived in California.  We just generally laughed and had a good time together.

The weather was nice most of the weekend, too.  I spent some time out on the porch reading on Friday.  Upper 70’s with little to no humidity.  I guess they’d had really bad winds a couple days before I arrived.

And then there was the day of the wedding itself.  It rained off and on all day, which was a bummer since the ceremony itself was supposed to be outside.  I will hand it to the staff of the venue, however.  When they got word we were holding it in the back up indoor location, they had things ready to go in minutes.  That’s impressive.

And Daniel and his bride looked so happy together.  Frankly, they seem like a great match to me.

I really wasn’t ready to come home when the weekend was over.  It was a great time with friends I don’t know when I will see again.  That made the parting hard.

No comments: