Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wow, Things Sure Are Different

So, it's been something like 30 hours since Barak Obama finally became the 44th President of the United States. I saw finally because with every election, I hate the transition period. Just get it over with already.

Anyway, I've found the last couple of days highly amusing. I've seen comments and posts and all kinds of things about how much better people feel because he is now Preisdent Obama.

Frankly, I feel just the same. He hasn't turned the world upside down in the first 24 hours. (Sounds like there is something big coming tomorrow, but it's frankly a laughable token jesture.) There's been no big changes from our country's policies from Monday.

At the same time, I am also speaking to my conservative brethern. The world hasn't ended. Heck, the sun still came up today.

Okay, I know I am expecting too much in the first day. It's the first few weeks that will show how things will go for the next four years. But really, people on both sides have just been making me laugh. The dire predictions haven't come true yet. The wild dancing that Bush has finally left office haven't made a big change either.

Our country is in need of strong leadership. President Obama has a lot of challenges ahead of him. Some of those are left over from Bush 43, some from Clinton, some from Bush 41. There is a huge cause and effect that have crashed on our country in the last couple of years. I don't envy him his job. And, for the sake of our country, I hope he succeeds in sorting things out. I'm sure I won't agree with him often, but I didn't agree with Bush the entire time either. That's the nature of having someone other then me running the country. (Although I probably wouldn't agree with myself all the time either.)

As I said the day after the election, the next four years will certainly be interesting. It will be interesting to watch the Democratic party react to President Obama. It will be interesting to watch the Republican party figure out how and when to be a good opposition party. And it will be interesting to watch what President Obama does with his power.

But you know what? God is ultimately the one in control of everything. And that gives me great comfort. No matter how bad things get and no matter how much I agree or disagree with any politian, none of this is a surprise to Him. And He is orchestrating all things for His glory.

That's certainly how I am able to sleep tonight or any night of my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Yeah, I'm confident Obama will do the job well. I know he will make decisions I disagree with. I also am sure he will make decisions that I agree with.

I think much of the joy in Tuesday was the fact that there was a time when that would not have happened. It was not that long ago when DC itself was a segregated city and much of the real healing did not start until the 70s. Shirley Chisholm made a go of it in 1972, winning delegates in Louisiana, Mississippi and New Jersey. It is sad she didn't live to see this week. Jesse Jackson made greater strides in 1984 and 1988 ... still being soundly defeated ... yet, opening the door. On the GOP side Alan Keyes, while never really coming close, has at least raised eyebrows. You're looking at 36 years really between the first attempt and reality. For those who lived through the Civil Rights Movement and especially for those around in the early 1900s (thus, possibly having spoken with children who survived slavery).

I certainly hope and pray Obama does a good job. I believe in the Romans 13 ideals that God ordains our governments.

Mark Baker said...

I'm not so sure all the joy I was sensing was because of the racial issues. I think a lot of it had to do with ideology or just a change.

...tom... said...

The contents of your post have been called to our attention; we will be reviewing future postings and past activity of this account very closely. Soon, very soon.


Dept. of Obama Doublethink, Toleration, and Embracement

Mark Baker said...

Wow, I guess things have changed afterall. I'd better start watching what I type more closely.