Friday, April 04, 2008

Mini Review: A Tisket, a Tasket, a Fancy Stolen Casket

My second book for 2008's Spring Reading Thing is A Tisket, a Tasket, a Fancy Stolen Casket by Fran Rizer. It was only okay.

The story centers around Callie Parrish who lives in a small town in South Carolina. She works at a mortuary preparing corpses for their viewings. And when she's preparing Bobby Saxon, she finds part of a hyperdermic needle in his neck. Since he died of an accidental drowning (supposedly), that raises red flags. Even weirder, his coffin is stolen that night. What's going on?

The mystery itself is good. Not outstanding, but interesting enough to keep me turning pages. I did guess the killer early on, but I wasn't 100% certain until near the end.

My problem was with the characters. Callie's brothers and father are sexist pigs. Callie's best friend Jane is blind, and I thought that might make things interesting. Jane also lies to get her way and works at a 900 sex number. So in other words, I really couldn't stand her.

I'm not saying I wouldn't return to the series, but it won't be my first choice.

As always, you can read my full review by following the link in the first paragraph.

No comments: