Friday, June 08, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

So, I'm only two weeks behind in blogging about life, huh? Let's get started at fixing that.

I went away for Memorial Day Weekend. It was wonderful.

Because I was in the hospital for Trixie Camp last year, I had a credit at Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch, the location. I used it for the long weekend.

It's about 5 hours from me, but the biggest surprise in the 11 miles of dirt road you have to drive to get there from the freeway. I still haven't washed my car and it's filthy.

The ranch is located in the middle of nowhere. Literally. When you're out on a horseback ride, you can look around and see no other signs of human life.

But it was nice and relaxing. Outside of two horse back rides a day (except Sunday) and meals, there was nothing planned. That meant I could do whatever I wanted. And you know me. I planned to read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire that weekend, and read it I did. All but the first 100 pages. Certainly helps the old TBR pile to do something like that.

Sunday, I took off to explore the area more. I tried to find a state park that sound nice out of Kingman, Arizona, but after I'd driven an hour and realized I had another hour to go, I gave up.

So instead I drove down Route 66 to Oatman, a ghost town turned tourist trap. You wouldn't know it from the T-Shirts I bought, but it really wasn't much. Just a bunch of stores. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to visit it again. But I will say the scenery on Route 66 was beautiful.

The evenings did have some activities. I really enjoyed playing pool with the other guests and the staff Saturday night. Lots of fun.

And it was wonderful to just relax. I sure did need it. In fact, I could have used another few days of just relaxing.

I only hit one patch of bad traffic coming back Monday. I could have been home hours earlier except I decided to stop at some outlets and do some clothes shopping. Pretty much a waste of time. And since I was there for a few hours, it was a lot of time I could have spent elsewhere. Doing what, I don't know, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more.

No comments: