Wednesday, November 01, 2023

June 2023 - New York City!

(Just a quick note:  If you are landed here because of a comment I left on your book blog, you might be more interested in my review blog, Carstairs Considers.  But you are very welcome to stick around here, too.)

In June, I was able to take a long weekend and go visit a friend of mine who has moved to New York City.  The closest I had come previously was being lost in Yonkers and a layover in JFK.  Obviously, I had a lot to see.

And we actually did see quite a bit.  I took a red eye Thursday night.  While he worked on Friday, I visited Times Square and the New York Public Library, both a modern branch and the old one with some fun displays.

Saturday, we were really touristy.  We went out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, something he hadn't done yet.  I really enjoyed visiting both of them - more than I thought I would, and they were the biggest things on my list.  We were able to go part way up into the statue, but not all the way to the top since we hadn't booked tickets months earlier.  Kind of hard to do when you decide to go a couple of weeks before the trip.

Sunday, we played book tourist.  I wanted to visit a couple of places I've read about in long running historical series I read, Bank Street for the Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson and Patchin Place for the Molly Murphy Mystery by Rhys Bowen.  I have no idea if we were anywhere near where the characters live in the Gaslight series, but Patchin Place is very small, so it was great to see what it actually looks like.  Not quite how I pictured it.

After that, we went to Central Park and wandered around there for a while.  It was very interesting to visit that since I'd heard so much about it.

Monday, he had to return to work and I had to fly home.  There was more I would have liked to have done, but it was still a wonderful trip, and we crammed a lot into the short visit.

The downside was that I hurt my shoulder more.  Twice while on the subway, I grabbed a bar to steady myself with my left arm, jarring it more.

No comments: