Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Beach League Begins

Yes, I’m back in league ultimate Frisbee.  Being spring, that means it is time for Men’s Beach League.  I’m carpooling with a couple of friends from here in town, and I’m even on the same team with one of them.

Our kick off week was a week and a half ago.  We played pick up for a while so the captains could watch us and hopefully pick even teams.  Then we played our first game.  Our opponents were short men (the captain picked several people he knew who weren’t there that day) so we agreed to play down.

Never do that.

As I knew it would, it really hurt us.  We went down at half 0-6.  We stayed with them for the second half and finished with 5 or 6 points, but they beat us in the end.

On the plus side, I scored one of our goals.  And everyone seems to be nice.  And I was on the beach on a perfectly lovely blue sky day.

Last week, I missed due to the LA Times Festival of Books.  It was cloudy and even rained briefly at one point.  I’ve heard that our first game was really bad, 3-11, but the second was better, 8-11.  We were even ahead for a while that game before we lost subs.  Obviously, I should have been there.

But I’ll be there again on Saturday.

No comments: