Monday, September 22, 2014

Trying Something New

Wow, I neglected this blog again.  Seems to be happening every other week right now, doesn’t it?  That’s especially too bad since I actually had something new to talk about last week.

One friend I’ve made through ultimate Frisbee here in town mentioned at the start of the summer that he plays underwater hockey.  With pool fees, it’s expensive, at least when you aren’t making any money, so I thought I’d put it off until I got a job.  Then I promptly forgot about it until Tuesday when I was looking for something to do other than run.  Yes, I love to run in the heat, but even I had to agree that 106 was a little too hot for a run.

So, at the last minute, after tracking down information, I showed up at the pool.

The last minute thing didn’t exactly make me popular, but David, my friend, helped me get some equipment, and I plunged into the pool.

Turns out the group was getting ready for a tournament this coming weekend, and there were more people out than normal.  Which explains why it was incredibly crowded.  I basically spent the next hour swimming back and forth.  I dove down some, but never contributed anything.  For one thing, I had a hard time swimming to the bottom of the pool.  I just float too easily.  For another, there was that whole really crowded thing.

After about half an hour, my mask started to leak, too, meaning I was getting water up my nose.  That wasn’t fun.


So would I do it again?  I really don’t know.  The sport sounds fun, but the reality just didn’t seem to work for me.  If I do, I will definitely try to show up earlier than I did this last time.  That is one thing I can absolutely control.

No comments: