Friday, February 01, 2013

Come on, Give Me Some Detail

There is a fine line in a unsolicited book review request between too much information and too little information.  Here is an example of too little information.

I got your name from the list of Amazon Top Reviewers. I’ve written a book, TITLE REMOVED I noticed from your Amazon profile that you frequently review books. If you think you might be interested in reading my book and posting an honest review of it on Amazon, I’ll gladly send a complimentary copy if you’ll reply with your preferred digital format (pdf, MOBI, ePub). There is no obligation, of course.

Really?  That’s it?  Based on the title, it might have been speculative fiction or a non-fiction political prediction or who knows what.  I mean, really, I have no idea what the book is about, so I have no idea if I would enjoy it or not.

And, as is a constant theme when looking at these requests, at least pretend you know what I review.  Either way, the book doesn’t look like my typical mystery.  So really, you are probably just wasting your time anyway.

Now I’m not looking for a detailed plot summary or anything.  But a sentence or two would certainly help me know if I am interested or not.  Without that, you are just going in my folder to be mocked later.

No comments: