Thursday, September 22, 2011

Running

I've made reference to it a couple of times on the blog, but I am running again.  After ultimate ended and choir began I had no choice since I'm not lucky to play ultimate once a week instead of three times a week.  And boy do I hate the change.

I could tell I hadn't been running distance much when I started up again because my three mile hill run just about killed me.  But I quickly gained that much back until I got derailed by shin splints.  Honestly, I'm not sure what caused them since I have basically brand new shoes.  All I can wonder is if it is the shoes themselves.  Anyway, took it easy a bit and worked my way back up again.

I went for a six mile run last night, and my shins seemed fine, so I'm hoping that is a sign that they are fine.

But boy did it take it out of me.  I mean, all I wanted to do was sit down when I was done.  It's amazing how quickly you lose the ability to run like that.  The outside of my left foot is rather sore, and I'm not completely sure why.

However, it feels wonderful to run a distance like that.  Yes, it is work, but the feeling of accomplishment when I was done was priceless.  It still amazes me that I can actually run a distance like that.  Yes, it takes lots of work and conditioning, but I can get it done.

Heck, I complained earlier about how hard that first 3 mile run back was, but you know what?  I finished it.  That's a major accomplishment in my book.  How long did I think that 1.5 miles would kill me?  Running 3 miles was out of the question.  Now it's my default run distance.  That just blows me away.

No comments: