Monday, March 14, 2011

My Run for Christchurch

So, a couple weeks ago, I read about a virtual 5K to benefit the earthquake victims in Christchurch, New Zealand.  The idea was to run 3 miles at any time this last weekend and then donate $5 to the Red Cross of New Zealand.  Oh yeah, and to wear red and black, that area's colors.

Since I was already planning to run Saturday, I figured why not, right?

I started Saturday by playing a quick round of disc golf with my friends Kurt and Jason.  I got clobbered as always.  Someday, I will get good at that game.  Maybe if I were to, I don't know, practice a bit more, it would help.

What was funny was that there was a 5 K going on there for St. Patrick's Day.  If I'd known about that, I probably would have signed up.  But by the time we were done playing, they were finishing up.  I did find out how to possibly participate next year.  We'll see how the schedule fits in with the St. Pat's Hat ultimate Frisbee tournament.

But I followed their course for my run.  I'd actually been wanting to run some of the trails in the park, and there's a good cross country course back there.  I'm not sure if all the gates are always open or if they were only for the race.

Actually, I ran 6 miles, the 5K course twice.  I stopped in between to talk to the organizers of the race a little.  And I walked up a big up hill section both times.  I really, really need to get better at running hills.  Obviously, the hill in Canyon Country Park, where I normally run, isn't a big enough challenge.  Even with the walking and the stopping to talk, I finished in an hour and twenty minutes.  That is a fast run for me, so I am thrilled.  I didn't feel like I was pushing it that much, either.  The downhill parts much have sped me up a lot more than I thought they did.

Here are some pictures:


You can sort of see the trail off to the sides of the picture.  That's where I was running.



Proof I was wearing red and black.  It's hard to take a picture of yourself, you know?  And those things in my ear?  That's the new Walkman from Sony.  I'll be reviewing it soon, but so far I like it.  Steve really should be getting a commission for selling these after the post on his blog about them.

And the weather for this?  Mid 60's.  While I like weather in the upper 70's to low 80's, I've got to admit this was perfect weather for a run.

No comments: