Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Some Fall Into Reading Questions

So, Callapidder Days, our host for the Fall Into Reading challenge I'm doing right now, has decided to ask us questions about our reading habbits every Tuesday.  When I found out, I thought, "That sounds like a fun thing to post on my blog on Tuesdays."  So here I am, four Tuesdays behind, ready to start.

Um, yeah.

I will get all four of these done today, however.  Trust me.

1. What do you think is the biggest obstacle to your reading? What prevents you from reading as much as you’d like?


I just try to do too much.  I would love to read more.  But I also like to watch TV, and as I have been saying for the last month, need to make some choices on TV shows to cut out.  I also like to spend time with friends, which as you can see from yesterday, really cuts into reading time.  And all the running I am doing means I can't spend that time reading (although that I usually do during time I would have been sleeping.  Then again, that means I have to go to sleep earlier).  Basically, as much as I'd love to read more, it would mean cutting down on something else I also love to do.

2. What do you think about e-books? Do you engage in e-reading or do you prefer to stick to good ol’ physical books?

I have a few e-reader apps on my iPod Touch.  I've downloaded a few free books, but I haven't spent much time reading them yet.  The main reason is because I have so many physical books around that I see and are calling my name that I forget about the ebooks.

I don't know how excited I would be to buy an ebook, however.  I like having the physical copy, especially if I want to get it signed.  I'm just not sure I'd want to spend the money to have an electronic copy I could lose.

Of course, with all the books I own and the fact that I long ago ran out of space for them in my condo, I should probably get over my feelings and start getting some ebooks.

3. Do you eat/drink while reading? If so, do you have some favorite reading snacks?

I don't eat at all.  I've tried, but I just can't seem to eat.  I get too lost in the book.  I drink plenty of water, and I will sometimes drink while reading, but usually I even forget to do that.  And I wouldn't want to snack because I'd get stuff on the pages of the book.

4. Do you ever dog-ear the corners of book pages to mark your spot? Or are you a faithful bookmark user, refusing to damage the pages of your books? OR do you have another way to keep track of where you are in a book?

Dog-ear pages?  Never!  Many people comment on how a book looks brand new after I've finished reading it.  I like to keep my books as nice looking as possible.

I use a bookmark.  In fact, I've used the same bookmark for probably 20 years now.  It's one of those laminated ones with my name and my name's meaning on it that were popular in the 80's.  The plastic edges are uneven and about half off now.  The tassle came off years ago.  But I can't get rid of it.  In fact, a few years back I lost it for a week or so, and reading just didn't feel right without my old friendly bookmark to hold my spot for me.

Makes you kind of wonder if I will ever really adapt to ebooks, doesn't it?

No comments: