Monday, February 08, 2010

Super Bowl Thoughts

Yeah, I know. I'm actually talking about sports on my blog. But I have some thoughts on the game and the ads yesterday, so I thought I'd share.

First off all, I can't believe the Saints won. I don't follow sports at all, but I have roommates who do, so I knew enough about the teams to figure the Colts had it in the bag. And they did for the first quarter. I was actually getting bored at that point until the Saints really picked things up in the second quarter. From there, it was pretty much their game. So congrats to them.

Now, on to the most important thing, the Super Bowl commercials.

My favorite has to be the Doritos commercial featuring the anti-bark collar. I was laughing pretty hard at that one. And I also enjoyed the Betty White playing football Snickers commercial, mainly because I'm a fan of Betty White. The Denny's ads were pretty good, too.

But on the whole, I found the ads to be disappointing. They were trying too hard. They weren't funny, weren't original, weren't worth the money spent. That's especially true of the ad I bought for the US Census.

And what was with all the guys in their underwear? I am not comfortable with equal opportunity. (Of course, I'm not a fan of seeing women in their underwear in commercials, either.)

And I am still shacking my head over the controversial Tim Tebow ad. Honestly, if you saw the ad without knowing the story behind it, you'd miss the anti-abortion message until "Celebrate Life" and the fact that it was sponsered by Focus on the Family came up at the end. If NOW had kept their big mouths shut, it wouldn't have been more than a blip on the radar. Instead, it was talked about for more than a week as people called on CBS to censor the ad. With all the controversy, I honestly expected an in your face statement, and it just wasn't there.

Gee, maybe you should actually try watching something before you attack it?

4 comments:

Kiefler said...

My favorite was probably this Bridgestone ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNUWOu5BBX4

The ending comment made me laugh.

Also, did you know that the Doritos "In the Coffin" ad was made by a church? They just got several hundred thousand added to their budget for the year for making the superbowl!

Mark Baker said...

I didn't know Doritos had hired out any of their commercials. That's cool.

Leslie said...

LOL - but the nice thing about the Focus on the Family ad is that because of NOW - people watched it with interest - and maybe a few got the message :)

Mark Baker said...

I do hope that Focus thanked NOW for that, too.