Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Mini Review: Through the Looking Glass

Let's get these posted, shall we?

Today's book is Through the Looking Glass (and What Alice Found There) by Lewis Carroll.

Once again, we follow Alice through a surreal adventure. This time, she finds herself in Mirror House. While exploring, she gets involved as a Pawn in a Chess game trying to become queen herself. Will she survive the adventures to make it to the eighth square?

I remember liking this book better than Alice in Wonderland, and I still feel that way. This one is very clever. I love how Alice finds things exactly backward of what she expects, like how to get to the garden (face the house). My favorite of these is the White Queen howling in pain before she is pricked with her hair pin.

I also had forgotten just how much Disney took from this book for the movie, and how much stuff we attribute to Alice in Wonderland that truly originated here. I remembered Tweedledum and Tweedledee, but I had forgotten that unbirthdays originated here.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I was amazed at how much from the movie came from this book as well. Thanks for the review!

Mark Baker said...

Guess that just shows we need to reread these books more often.

Katy said...

I remember loving Through the Looking Glass as a kid. Good idea to re-read--I recently bought a copy for my kids' bookshelf. I should borrow it.

Mark Baker said...

Is it borrowing to take your own kids' copy? :)

Enjoy!