Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What's on my Nightstand - May 2009 Edition

That time of the month again. But this month I am going to approach 5 Minutes for Books' carnaval a little different. Since I am already doing mini-reviews, I thought it would be a good time to talk about some books I've read this month I won't be doing reviews for.

A couple weeks ago, we had Nation Children's Book Week. Over at Jix, a bunch of us decided to read a minimum of one chapter (or one book) per day all week.

I read two kids' books as a result. The first was Click Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin. Poor Farmer Brown discovers he has a labor problem when his cows get a typewriter and demand blankets for the cold winter nights before they will produce any more milk. It's a funny picture book that will have you and your kid laughing.

Then I read Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Jumping Frogs by Donald Sobol. Turns out that the original author is still writing books starting the smartest fifth grader ever. Unfortunately, I've found that I am still no match for Encyclopedia's vast knowledge. But I have fun trying to get more than two right.

This weekend, I also indulged in a couple books not on my Spring Reading list. First up was The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes, the second treasury of this classic comic strip. It's been years since I read it, and I loved it.

That was yesterday.

Today, I am working my way through The Middle Man: The Collected Series Indispensability. It's a comic book. I watched a TV show based on it last summer and loved it. Unfortunately, not enough of us did watch it, but if you missed it, be sure to check out the TV on DVD release coming out in a couple of months. The series is part comic book super hero part comedy. The comics aren't quite as good as the TV series, but it is still lots of fun.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, this is a perfect use for the Nightstand carnival -- quick blurbs of books that we might not review.

My daughter brought home an Encyclopedia Brown book one year, and my husband and I were thrilled, but she didn't keep reading. I didn't know that he was still writing them though.

Just Mom said...

I love Click, Clack, Moo - it cracks me up every time no matter how many times I read it!

Anonymous said...

Click Clack Moo is such a fun book! I hadn't heard of the other kids book but it sounds cute :-0